Reevaluate and reset


The books of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and Song of Songs are attibuted to the wisdom of Solomon. Within the book of Ecclessiates I would like to focus on a few verses from chapter 7, a section entitled "A Collection of Wise Teachings."

I always remember my old minister quoting Ecclesiastes 7:2 & 4 in the King James, which says "better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart

With the recent funeral of my eldest sister, five years my senior, it got me thinking again about the brevity of life. 

The date of my big sisters funeral was on a date known as both a palindrome and ambigram (see explanation of these terms above). 

Modern translations put it this way:

2 It is better to go to a funeral than to a party, because everyone must die, and the living need to remember this.
4 A wise person thinks about death, but a fool thinks only about having a good time (Ecclesiates 7:2,4 ERV/Msg). 

The beauty about my big sister's funeral was that our parting is only temporary. Christianity is so reassuring as it talks about the certainty of our future reunion, in the life hereafter. 

Due to Covid-19 regulations  restricting the numbers at the graveside, not all those who wanted to be there, got to hear the challenge of the minister at the committal. 

He read from John's Gospel chapter 11 which in two verses clearly states those who will participate in our reunion:
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection. I am life. Everyone who believes in me will have life, even if they die. 26 And everyone who lives and believes in me will never really die. 

"A wise person thinks about death v4."

I find that funerals are a great time to reevaluate and reset. 

Hoping and praying that you "believe" in Jesus too, as your resurrected Lord and Saviour. 

"Only one life
Will soon be past
Only what's done for Christ 
Will last."

Selah.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

Mercy drops...thank you