The legacy of my dash - New Years resolutions

Thanks to live streaming, during 2018 I was able to watch the funeral tributes that celebrated the lives of three of 'God's Generals'. Before you think this is morbid read on. Each one of these lives had a profound impact and influence on my life for good. They also made a difference for time and eternity on all those received their message and ministry.
There was the renowned American evangelist and pastor to presidents, Rev. Billy Graham aged 99 (1918-2018). He was probably the most famous General of the Christian faith in our times, preaching God's unconditional love and saving grace to millions.
There are two others, a little less well known to the masses, but those who nevertheless had a major impact and influence upon my life and many of those who knew them. 
One was Rev. Dick Iverson the former pastor of Bible Temple, now City Bible Church, Portland, Oregon, USA. 'Brother Dick' as he was affectionately called, was a pastor of pastors, leading a network of churches globally called Ministers Fellowship International. This is the home of Portland Bible College. This was where, as a lad of 19, that I studied theology for three years. Brother Dick went on to glory aged 88 (1930-2018). Charisma magazine posthumously honoured him with the title of a "General of the faith."
The other was a person who seconded me to be the coordinator of a church-planting initiative called 'Love Ireland'. He was a Singaporean church leader and missionary of epic proportions. He was the Rev. Rick Seaward. If you ever get to read of Rick's life story it is truly amazing. He helped plant more churches than anyone I ever knew - including Paul the Apostle! He was a global church planter. Rick was tragically killed in a car accident, while in Brazil, aged 63 (1955-2018). Rick is the third General of the faith.
With all three of these posthumously honoured individuals, each of them have something in common. Yes, each of them left an amazing legacy - as the writer to the Hebrews says "though dead yet speaketh." They had all fulfilled "the will of God in their own generation."
I call this "the legacy of the dash".
If you review my article above, you will see that between the year of their birth and year of their death, in brackets, there is a "dash". The "dash" is that short line representing the time, in between, in which they lived. All of the above lived their dash well.
As we embark upon the new year of 2019 this is a great time for review, reflection and resolution.
These people make me ask the greater questions and get me to contemplate what will be the legacy of my dash? 
How will I be remembered when my dash is engraved on my tombstone?
What will I have left as a legacy of love? 
Did people find me a kind, thoughtful or winsome person?
How did my nearest and dearest view me? 
Did I carve out time or give my talents to speak up for those suffering social injustice? 
How did I treat my wife - will she miss me or was she glad to see me go? 
Will there be a gap when I am no longer alongside her these 40 years? 
Will my son's mimic something of my example in how they treat their wives?
If we are serious about answering these and other questions of life, we must be intentional about the choices we make every day.
Take a little time to consider how you can determine "the legacy of your dash."
Three things that help prompt me are:
1) Carpe Diem - 'to cease each day'. To intentional grasp each moment and fill it with love, joy and hope.
2) To be thoughtful to those whose lives you touch, or as the good book says "to consider others better than yourself"
3) To pray : to seek the will of God and that " His Kingdom would come and that His will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
Blessings on you and your family as you embark upon the virgin soil that is 2019.
Your life is made of two dates and a  dash. May the "legacy of you dash" be one that makes a difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World