Thankful

I woke up this morning feeling extremely thankful. The 'Green Book' movie that Mrs B. and I watched last night had a redemptive quality. It demonstrated the impact friends, colleagues and family have on influencing our choices and helping us being more appreciative. There is nothing more I love than a night out to watch a feel-good movie.

  • Half the world - over three billion people - live on less than $2.50 a day. 
  • At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day. 844 million people lack even a basic drinking water service. 
  • 1.1 billion people across the world still lack any electric supply. 
  • 900 million people globally live in slums lacking sanitation or adequate housing. This is set to rise to 1.6billion - a fifths of the world's population - will lack access to secure, adequate and affordable housing.
These statistics makes me realise that my particular frustrations and gripes are often first world problems!

So what in the world am I thankful for? 
  • Well, I started today thankful for a lovely hot shower and hot breakfast. 
  • Even though it's Saturday, I'm ever so thankful for a regular full-time job and a friendly bunch of work colleagues. 

  • I'm thankful for a family who love each other and are blessed with great homes and great jobs. 
  • I'm thankful for a loving wife, my raison d'etre.
  • I'm thankful for friends, adding to the richness of my life by caring, in the good times and the bad. 
  • I'm thankful for three industrious sons. If I ever grow up, I'd love to be like them!

  • I'm thankful for three daughter's in law, who make my son's lives complete.
  • And I'm really thankful for two amazing little granddaughters, who are the joy of their Papa's heart.  
  • I'm thankful for my sister's and their families. Even though we don't get to see an awful lot of each other, we always pick up were we left off and never hold grudges or grievances.
  • So thankful for my in-laws. They have been such a positive blessing on my life since 1979.
  • I'm particularly thankful for peace and soundness of mind. I'm really thankful for my health. As my mother in law rightly said "your health is your wealth"!
  • I'm thankful for community and the extended family we enjoy in our local church @LVV.
I was reminded of an old song. Sing along or imbibe the sentiments. 

Give Thanks.

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us"

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us"

Give thanks with a grateful heart (with a grateful heart)
Give thanks to the Holy One (to the Holy One)
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

Give thanks with a grateful heart (with a grateful heart)
Give thanks to the Holy One (to the Holy One)
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us"

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich (I am rich)
Because of what the Lord has done for us"
Give thanks

(Songwriter: Henry Smith)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World