The abbot with the missional habit


My chum Tim and I were in Bangor the other day and visited North Down Museum. We had planned to walk from Bangor along the coast road to Helens Bay, but got way-led due to our Northern Irish mizzle. We did get warmed up though with a cup of breakfast tea and an Ulster Fry instead!

North Down Museum gives a great historical overview of the region, particularly in the era when Ireland was known as "the land of saints and scholars."

As a theologian, I was impressed by the way abbots and monks from Northern Ireland had such a missional influence, whilst educating many of the princes and princesses of Europe. 

I had actually considered studying one of these saints, Columbanus, for my masters thesis.  I had come up with the rather cool title "the abbot with the missional habit." However, after reading Tomas O Fiaich's book entitled 'Columbanus - In His own words', I reckoned I couldn't top this excellent biography of our missional saint.

Columbanus was one of those saints who really made his "dash" count.

Columbanus (Columbán, 543 – 21 November 615), also known as St. Columban, was an Irish missionary notable for founding a number of monasteries from around 590 AD in the Frankish and Lombard kingdoms, most notably Luxeuil Abbey in present-day France and Bobbio Abbey in present-day Italy. He is remembered as a key player influencing Irish missionary activity in early medieval Europe. 

There is a popular pilgrimage walk in Spain known as The Way of St. James (Camino del Santiago). The one though that is on my retirement bucket list is the Columban Way.

Hopefully 'Saint Timotheous of Houston', pictured in the habit, can walk it with me?

That's Columban Mrs Hylton, nothing to do with Colombo, the sleuth detective:).

Are you coming too Corky? 

Sure, if the good Lord spares us, 2026 would be a great time to celebrate a 50 year "friends for life" reunion. 

Start saving!


Comments

  1. That’s Budsworth to you ol’ chum! And count me in. But maybe we should aim for the 45th...
    One way or another it is time to get the band back together. Enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World