Try a little kindness

The local chicken factory was reputed to have supplied the leanest and plumpest of chicken breasts
in Northern Ireland. So, having heard this, my wife sent me on an errand to buy, not just one but two
boxes of those plumper than other chicken breasts – one for the work colleague and one for our
family freezer.
It was a rare hot summers day, when I arrived at the chicken factory, to collect the said luscious
chicken breasts. I paid my £100 at the factory office and hurriedly carried the two boxes to the boot
of my car, to get them out of the sun. And then it happened – in my haste I had set my car keys
beside the chicken boxes and promptly closed the boot lid, inadvertently locking the keys inside.
What a fool I felt I felt when I realised my faux-paux.
As ‘ingenuity is the mother of invention’, I thought, if I phoned a local locksmith that he’d maybe
gain access to the boot before the factory closing time. Unfortunately, the locksmith and I were to
discover that this car boot was like Fort Knox – totally impregnable. So I stood there, stuck a long
way from home, with neither car nor blessed chickens to take with me.
In the words of Laurel and Hardy, “What a fine mess I’d gotten myself into.”
I made the arduous journey back down home to Belfast to retrieve a second key for my car. The next
day when I returned, the stench hit me – yes, the chicken breasts had been slowly cooking in the
heat of the summer sunshine and they were rancid – absolutely stinking!
With the panic of the one hundred pounds, down the proverbial drain, I sheepishly approached the
receptionist at the factory to ask if she could she possibly dispose of the chickens, when, out of the
blue, something most unexpected happened. The manager came out, and in knowing my plight, he
took pity on me and my loss. Instead of blaming me for being so stupid in locking my keys in the
boot, he generously gave me a replacement batch of fresh chicken breasts – wow - he had
redeemed the situation, at the expense of the factory, with no extra cost to myself.
As we go into our day today, maybe we too could demonstrate some such kindness
Maybe we too could extend a little “undeserved grace” instead of blame.
Maybe we too could “redeem situations” that would result in others being thankful.
In the words of the song by Glen Campbell:
“You’ve got try a little kindness,
Show a little kindness,
Shine your light for everyone to see,
And if you try a little kindness,
Then you’ll overlook the blindness,
Of the narrow-minded people on their narrow-minded streets.”
Good morning.(464 words)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World