Image bearers

There is a rich vein of symbolic imagery which has been given to us within the scriptures.

"It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honor of kings is to search out a matter"
Like mining for gold sometimes you have to dig deep.

There is straightforward imagery such as that found in the famous Psalm 23. Here the Lord is likened to a shepherd and we become the sheep of his pasture, those that he feeds and cares for.

For those of you interested in delving a little deeper, outlined in this blog I unpack one facet of biblical imagery that helps us understand the work of the Holy Spirit today (continuing our theme from 'Wild Geese').

There are at least seven key symbolic images in the New Testament that denote the work of the Spirit:

1) water
2) wind
3) oil
4) wine
5) fire
6) a dove
7) a seal

A seal

You may remember watching a TV series or a movie set "in days of old when knights were bold". Examples would be the likes of the Three Musketeers, Ivanhoe or Robin Hood.

These medieval defenders of the realm were often depicted as ambassadors carrying sealed messages from the King. They carried the sealed messages by  horseback, to the likes of important diplomats or foreign dignitaries.

The King's seal was on those letters. It was usually either the impress of the Kings engraved ring or His uniquely embossed stamp. This image-motif was then pressed onto red molten wax. Such letters were sealed to demonstrate the authenticity of the message, from none other but the King himself.

Christians therefore are those that have the impress of the Spirit - the seal of the Spirit, the Spirit of Jesus, King over all.

Here is a word study on the word Image.
"Image = charakter (Greek) denotes, firstly, "a tool for graving" (from charasso, "to cut into, to engross;" cp. Eng., "character," "characteristic"); then, "a stamp" or "impress," as on a coin or a seal, in which case the seal or die which makes an impression bears the "image" produced by it, and, vice versa, all the features of the "image" correspond respectively with those of the instrument producing it. In the NT it is used metaphorically in Heb 1:3, of the Son of God as "the very image (marg., 'the impress') of His substance." RV. The phrase expresses the fact that the Son "is both personally distinct from, and yet literally equal to, Him of whose essence He is the adequate imprint" (Liddon). The Son of God is not merely his "image" (His charakter), He is the "image" or impress of His substance, or essence. "

To summarize, the meaning of the Greek word 'charakter'  translated"image" is how we get our English word "character."

Christians have the very characteristics of Jesus formed in them. They are reflections of Christ, partakers of the divine nature, His image-bearers. These Christ followers are authentic Kingdom-carriers.

Here are the lyrics of a song asking God for those seeking more of "the seal of the Spirit"
(Eph 1: 13-14; 2 Cor 1:22)

[Verse 1]
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me
Melt me, mold me
Fill me, use me

[Verse 1]
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me
Melt me, mold me
Fill me, use me!

[Interlude]

[Verse 2]
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me
Melt me, mold me
Fill me, 'cause I want to be used
I want to be used, I want to be used
I want to be used
Oh-oh-ooh, fall, fall... on me
Fall afresh on me, fall afresh on me
On me, on me!

[Interlude]

Let's be authentic ambassadors as we represent our King today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World