December 1st - Following the Star

 

 

Passages:  

“A star shall come forth from Jacob, A sceptre shall rise from Israel, and shall crush through the forehead of Moab, and tear down all the sons of Sheth.” (Numbers 24:17)

 

“Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him.”Then Herod secretly called the magi and determined from them the exact time the star appeared…After hearing the king, they went their way; and the star, which they had seen in the east, went on before them until it came and stood over the place where the Child was…When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy (Matthew 2:2,7,9,10).

 

“And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. (2 Peter 1:19)

 

“I, Jesus, have sent My angel 

to testify to you these things 

for the churches. I am the   root and the descendant of 

David, the bright morning 

star(Rev 22:16)

 

Ponder:

There is an apt phrase which says “Wise men seek Jesus, they still do”! Like the wise men (magi) who followed the star in the east, these Advent devotionals are prepared for us to rediscover some of the scriptures that prophecy of Jesus first coming and those in the Gospels that precede His birth. This revelation of Jesus is known as the incarnation, the pivotal point in history, when God became Man.  

The devotions start on 1st December and will culminate on Christmas day when we celebrate Jesus’ birthday, 25th December. I hope you enjoy “following the star.”

Prayer:

Lord, thank you that over 330 scriptures foretold your first coming. Help me in these days to encounter your presence, as a lamp shining in a dark place, may the morning star rise in my heart. Make me like the magi, who sought and found you. Just as your star led them from the East to Bethlehem, lead me by you Spirit. Thank you Jesus, for leaving your Kingly splendour in heaven to reveal yourself to mankind.

Jesus I too have come to worship you this Advent. The Root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star come shine in my heart I pray. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World