December 8th - Mary's Prophetic Song: The Magnificat

 


Passage: Mary’s Prophetic Song: The Magnificat

46 And Mary sang this song: “My soul is ecstatic, overflowing with praises to God!
47 My spirit bursts with joy over my life-giving God!
48 For he set his tender gaze upon me, his lowly servant girl. And from here on, everyone will know that I have been favoured and blessed.
49 The Mighty One has worked a mighty miracle for me; holy is his name!
50 Mercy kisses all his godly lovers, from one generation to the next.
51 Mighty power flows from him to scatter all those who walk in pride.
52 Powerful princes he tears from their thrones and he lifts up the lowly to take their place.
53 Those who hunger for him will always be filled, but the smug and self-satisfied he will send away empty.
54 Because he can never forget to show mercy, he has helped his chosen servant, Israel,
55 Keeping his promises to Abraham and to his descendants forever.”

56 Before going home, Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months. (Luke 1:46-56)

 

Ponder:

Mary’s song tells of how the Lord lifts up the lowly and scatters those who walk in pride. Mary’s heart of humble servanthood never forgets the grace and mercy of God – favour in getting what she didn't deserve (grace) and not getting what she did deserve (mercy).                                      Here are the expressions of joy and praise, and God alone the object of the praise and centre of the joy. Some compare this song with that which her name-sake Miriam, the sister of Moses, sung, upon the triumphant departure of Israel out of Egypt, and their triumphant passage through the Red Sea; others think it better compared with the song of Hannah, upon the birth of Samuel, which, like this, passes from a family mercy to a public and general one. This begins, like that, My heart rejoiceth in the Lord, 1 Sam. 2:1 or as the translation puts it, My spirit bursts with joy over my life-giving God. 

Mary also stays around for the third trimester of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, no doubt supporting each other through their rather unique and miraculous experiences.

04.06.06BC-28.11.06BC

Prayer:

Lord, let my life know your grace and favour. Please continue to show me the kiss of your mercy too.                             May my spirit burst with joy in my life-giving God.                                                 May I walk in humility, reliant totally on you. Help me be one you would raise up to smash smugness, self-centredness and pride. Amen.


Listen to Amy Grant sing - Breath Of Heaven (Mary's Song) (Lyric Video)

https://youtu.be/FWo3qlqyW1c


*(The Jesus Diary – The Most Comprehensive Chronology of the Life of Jesus Christ, the Son of God)

** Luke:The NIV Application commentary from Biblical Text to Contemporary Life: Darrell L. Brock – Quotations (moving forward) will be from this source and The Matthew Commentary Collection by Wilkins,Osborne and McKnight.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World