The Heavenly Shore

When you know the road of life ahead is shorter than the road of life behind, it makes you think about the brevity of life and consider what's next. Is there life beyond the here and now? It's certainly a valid question. 

The Fame lyrics, although catchy, unfortunately aren't necessarily true. 

'I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly
I'm gonna make it to heaven
Baby, remember my name!' 

Some even think that the switch is turned off at death and that is it!

The beauty of a Christian faith, based on the resurrection and ascension of Jesus, is that it is filled with the hope of eternal life. 
Listen to the assuring  words of Jesus, in John's Gospel, about our trust and belief in Jesus. 

John 5:24
24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

John 11:25-26

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe ? 

The Message puts it:
25-26 “You don’t have to wait for the End. I am, right now, Resurrection and Life. The one who believes in me, even though he or she dies, will live. And everyone who lives believing in me does not ultimately die at all. Do you believe this?”

The song by Fanny Crosby drives home this truth of our life in the afterlife as heirs of salvation. 

"1.Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.

2 Perfect communion, perfect delight,
visions of rapture now burst on my sight.
Angels descending bring from above
echoes of mercy, whispers of love. [Refrain]

3 Perfect submission, all is at rest.
I in my Savior am happy and bless’d,
watching and waiting, looking above,
filled with his goodness, lost in his love. [Refrain]

"Do you believe" ? 

We used to sing this one in the Boys Brigade. It's a cracker. 

1.Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,
when the clouds unfold their wings of strife?
When the strong tides lift, and the cables strain,
will your anchor drift, or firm remain?

Refrain:
We have an anchor that keeps the soul
steadfast and sure while the billows roll;
fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
grounded firm and deep in the Saviour’s love!

2 Will your anchor hold in the straits of fear,
when the breakers roar and the reef is near?
While the surges rage, and the wild winds blow,
shall the angry waves then your bark o'erflow? [Refrain]

3 Will your anchor hold in the floods of death,
when the waters cold chill your latest breath?
On the rising tide you can never fail,
while your anchor holds within the veil. [Refrain]

4 Will your eyes behold through the morning light
the city of gold and the harbour bright?
Will you anchor safe by the heavenly shore,
when life's storms are past for evermore

May you "anchor safe by the heavenly shore, when life's storms are past for evermore." Don't procrastinate. In the words of Charles Dickens "My advice is to never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time." 

Selah. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World