Double Imputation


"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" (2 Cor 5:21)

The verse above speaks of "double imputation." Double imputation refers
Firstly, to the imputation of believers' sin to Christ and 
Secondly, to the imputation of Christ's righteousness to believers.

Not only is our sin laid on Jesus, but Jesus righteousness is laid on us. This is the heart of Christ's redeeming love. 
Other synonyms "to impute" are to ascribe, to attribute, to credit or to charge

The essence of Christianity is that a sinless man (Jesus) became sin for us, taking our place. This is best understood when we think of a substitute in football. A player is switched or exchanged for another with fresh legs. Jesus has taken our place! 

This is demonstrated in the illustration of the whipping boy. A whipping boy was a boy educated alongside a prince (or boy monarch) in early modern Europe, who received corporal punishment for the prince's transgressions in his presence.The practice probably originated in the 16th century when Edward VI became king at the age of 10 years. The corporal punishment to the King was unthinkable even if he was an immature growing lad. 

The lyrics of many songs resound with "double imputation" 

"I am covered over with the robe of Righteousness my Father gives to me
I am covered over 
With the precious blood of Jesus 
And he lives in me 
O what joy it is to know 
My Heavenly Father loves me so 
And gives to me My Jesus
For when He looks at me He sees 
Not what I use to be but He sees Jesus"

King Jesus has given us the most wonderful royal exchange. As Isaiah 61:3 puts it - he has "bestowed on us a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. We are called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor." 

Many wrongly think Christianity is about being a *do gooder" yet miss the royal exchange that happens when we make Jesus King of our lives. 

Ponder "double imputation" 
Better still, personalise it. 

It takes murderers, like Paul the apostle, who vehmenently opposed Christianity, and transforms them into ambassadors that advocate for King Jesus. 
It takes our darkened hearts and lives full of shortcoming and shame and makes them beacons of light. 
It literally turns sinners into saints. 

Now that's the gospel truth. 
Selah. 

PS

If you get a chance listen on YouTube to a song entitled Holy Water by We the Kingdom


Here are the lyrics:

God, I'm on my knees again
God, I'm begging please again
I need you
Oh, I need you

Walking down these desert roads
Water for my thirsty soul
I need you
Oh, I need you

Your forgiveness
Is like sweet, sweet honey on my lips
Like the sound of a symphony to my ears
Like Holy water on my skin

Dead man walking, slave to sin
I wanna know about being born again
I need you
Oh, God, I need you

So, take me to the riverside
Take me under, baptize
I need you
Oh, God I need you

Your forgiveness
Is like sweet, sweet honey on my lips
Like the sound of a symphony to my ears
Like holy water on my skin
(On my skin)

I don't wanna abuse your grace
God, I need it every day
It's the only thing that ever really makes me wanna change

I don't wanna abuse your grace
God, I need it every day
It's the only thing that ever really makes me wanna change

I don't wanna abuse your grace
God, I need it every day
It's the only thing that ever really makes me wanna change

I don't wanna abuse your grace
God, I need it every day
It's the only thing that ever really makes me wanna change

Your forgiveness
Is like sweet, sweet honey on my lips (yes, it is)
Like the sound of a symphony to my ears
It's like holy water

Your forgiveness
Is like sweet, sweet honey on my lips
Like the sound of a symphony on my ears
It's like holy water on my skin
It's like holy water on my skin
It's like holy water

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World