T. W. A.


Trans World Airlines (TWA) was a major American airline which operated from 1930 until 2001. The initials T.W.A. are also a great way of remembering the vital ingredients that make for strong relationships

Let me illustrate using the intimacy of a marriage relationship to demonstrate our relationship to God.

1) T stands for Time.
Every marriage relationship with it's salt and one that thrives involves investing time in each other. Making quality time is a key building block for any relationship.

It's the same with our relationship with God. Investing in a "quiet time" is a key to developing a strong faith. When I make time for my wife it demonstrates my love for her.

Ecclesiastes chapter 3 talks about time

1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: 2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, 6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, 8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

2) W stands for Words.
Just imagine how weak my marriage would become if I didn't speak to my wife. It is so essential to use words of affirmation, appreciation and acceptance. Through these I verbally express my love.
Regular communication is the key to any thriving relationship.
Prayer, worship and reading God's word are ways God speaks to us and we speak to God. Acts 2:42 says "They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer."

3) A stands for Actions.
Demonstrating love for my wife is also critically important. Doing things that please her express my love. My wife's love language is "acts of service, " so if I simply bring in the washing, help clear up the dishes or cut the grass she feels loved.
This is also the case when celebrating her birthday by buying a gift and booking a nice restaurant. Actions speak louder than words.
So too in our relationship with God. We demonstrate our love by random acts of kindness, serving others practically and by giving of our resources. As Matthew 25:40 puts it "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.'

The scriptures speak much about us developing an intimate relationship with God. I'm sure we can all improve this relationship by remembering TWA  - more time, better words and practical actions.

Here are a few scripture texts to encourage us in our daily quest.

The Vine and the Branches

4 “Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can’t bear grapes by itself but only by being joined (connected) to the vine, you can’t bear fruit unless you are joined (connected) with me.

5-8 “I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you’re joined (connected) with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated (disconnected) , you can’t produce a thing. Anyone who separates (disconnects) from me is deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire. But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon. This is how my Father shows who he is—when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples (John 15:4-8).

Everyone who confesses that Jesus is God’s Son participates continuously in an intimate relationship with God (1John 4:15)

Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God (1 John 4:7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My big sister

CHURCH AT HOME - 40+ Charismatic Churches in Northern Ireland

December 2nd - Behold, The Light of the World